- Our Community
- Howard Commons Activity Complex
Howard Commons Activity Complex
Coming soon: the Howard Commons Activity Complex
The public space at Howard Commons consistently has been shown as the focal point for the Village Center project. Now the goal to develop a gathering place for our community is coming to fruition this summer when construction of the pavilion, activity building, amphitheater, beer garden, and splash pad will be complete.
The pavilion will serve as a skating rink in the winter. Unlike the Pinewood ice rink, it will have an artificial cooling system that will allow it to stay open at least from November through February. Skate rentals also will be offered. The rest of the year, the pavilion and adjoining areas will host events such as the Howard Farmers Market, the Rock the Commons concert series, food festivals, movies, live music acts, and other gatherings.
The development is modeled after the William E. Urschel Pavilion and Central Park Plaza in Valparaiso, Indiana. The project is being funded through naming rights and TIF #8 revenues. Dan Schmidt, who owns Bay Industries in Green Bay, purchased the pavilion naming rights for $4.875 million to honor his parents who founded the company. The facility will officially be called the Arnold and Gloria Schmidt Pavilion. The Roger and Star Kimps Family Foundation also donated $1 million to support the project, and the activity building will be named the Roger and Star Kimps Activity Center.
To assist with debt service, the village extended the life of TIF #8 for three additional years. Both the beer garden and ice rink are expected to bring in significant revenues to offset costs. To provide an additional funding cushion, naming rights also are being solicited for the amphitheater, as well as smaller amenities.
Additional roads, roadway and trail extensions, parking stalls, and utilities also are part of the development. The village hopes the entire project will be completed by August of 2023.
HISTORY OF THE VILLAGE CENTER
The Howard Village Center is meant to:
- Be a place where Village of Howard residents will gather to live, shop, recreate and socialize
- Be an economic benefit to the Village of Howard
- Give the Village of Howard a vibrant, tangible identity and new heart for the community
Howard Commons Activity Complex
Formerly referred to as the Village Square, the Howard Commons Activity Complex will be an integral component of the Village Center area. It will offer the following amenities:
- Center Plaza: This area will be lit and will have ice skating in the winter and interactive water features during the summer.
- Large expanses of open space: This will allow outdoor gatherings, such as Farmers Markets, concerts in the park and outdoor theatrical productions.
- Multifunctional Pavilion: The open air Multifunctional Pavilion can be used for numerous community events.
- Pedestrian friendly: There will be connectivity to trails and other open spaces.
- Shopping: Promotion of vertical mixed-use buildings with ground floor retail will be key.
Howard Commons Luxury Apartments
The Howard Commons Apartments were constructed in 2017 and are owned by the Village of Howard and are operated by Alliance Management. Click here to view available apartment listings. Visit the Howard Commons Facebook page here.